Do you love Reading? You are in a right place with us. Register and join book talks on our Bookworm hub.

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

The Historical Romance Book Reviews

View previous topic View next topic Go down
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
bannerobrien
Book Burner
Book Burner

Female
Registration date : 2012-01-09

PostSubject: Re: The Historical Romance Book Reviews Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Oops, I forgot to site my reference. Credits to Lisa Kleypas' page for the review. Laughing

I'll post some reviews of my several favorites soon. I hope you'll find time to read them and be captured with the same intensity as I am. I love you I love you
Back to top Go down
Kaye Cee
Assistant Librarian
Assistant Librarian

Aries Female
Humor : I'm glad I had people that I can talk about fictional characters as if they were real, and still think I'm sane.
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: The Historical Romance Book Reviews Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:12 pm

Hello Banner dear!

Welcome sa realm! flowers

We're so happy that you found a right place. keep posting reviews and recommendations lang ha? Kasi talagang pag reader ka, non-stop ang paghahanap mo sa pagbabasa, to appease the cravings.

I also have a Kleypas novel entiled Lady Sophia's Lover. But I would look forward to read Devil in a winter. Ayan may testimonial eh. Wink

Na-excite tuloy ako, I'll look for this on ebay.
Back to top Go down
http://bookworms.forumotion.net
bannerobrien
Book Burner
Book Burner

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Historical Romance Book Reviews Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:40 am

Catey Amidala Skywalker wrote:
Hello Banner dear!

We're so happy that you found a right place. keep posting reviews and recommendations lang ha? Kasi talagang pag reader ka, non-stop ang paghahanap mo sa pagbabasa, to appease the cravings.

I also have a Kleypas novel entiled Lady Sophia's Lover. But I would look forward to read Devil in a winter. Ayan may testimonial eh. Wink

Hello Ate Catey! sunny Thank you for the welcome. I love you I'm now looking forward to interact with my co-bookwormers here. bounce

Yup, try it. Magaling talaga si Lisa Kleypas, one of the best authors for me. queen Nabasa ko na rin yan kaso hindi ko nagustuhan yung 'past' ni Lady Sophia but all in all, it is an excellent story. Heartwarming. I love you It's the same with all her Bow Street Runner series lalo na yung story ng brother niya.

Try also Dreaming of You by LK (Gamblers Series) and Because You're Mine (Capitol Theatre Series). Guaranteed her bests. flower
Back to top Go down
bannerobrien
Book Burner
Book Burner

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Historical Romance Book Reviews Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:30 am

Here's one of my Kleypas' favorite too. From Gamblers Series: Dreaming of You.

Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas

She stood at danger's threshold -- then love beckoned her in.

In the shelter of her country cottage, Sara Fielding puts pen to paper to create dreams. But curiosity has enticed the prim, well-bred gentlewoman out of her safe haven -- and into Derek Craven's dangerous world.

A handsome, tough and tenacious Cockney, he rose from poverty to become lord of London's most exclusive gambling house -- a struggle that has left Derek Craven fabulously wealthy, but hardened and suspicious. And now duty demands he allow Sara Fielding into his world -- with her impeccable manners and her infuriating innocence. But here, in a perilous shadow-realm of ever-shifting fortunes, even a proper "mouse" can be transformed into a breathtaking enchantress -- and a world-weary gambler can be shaken to his cynical core by the power of passion...and the promise of love.

Here's an excerpt:

Derek glanced over her head at the light coming from the ballroom. "You should be in there dancing with Harry Marshall ... or Lord Banks."

She frowned at the mention of the two callow youths. "Is that what you think I deserve? You would pair me with some shallow, conceited dandy and claim that I've made a splendid match? Well, I'm beginning to think it's a convenient excuse, this notion of yours that I'm too good for you! Perhaps the truth is that I'm lacking something. You must think I wouldn't satisfy your needs, or—"

"No," Derek said swiftly. "I suppose you would rather be consorting with all those married women who keep whispering in your ear and making eyes at you, and touching you with their fans—" "Sara—" "Writers are very observant, perceptive people, and I can tell exactly which women you've consorted with, just by watching—"

Derek smothered her tirade with his mouth. When she was quiet, he lifted his head. "None of them mattered to me." he said roughly. "There were no promises, no obligations on either side. I felt nothing for them." He looked away from her and swore, aware of the futility of faying to explain it to her. But she had to understand, so that she would have no illusions about him. He forced himself to go on. "Some of them claimed to love me. As soon as they said it, I left without looking back."

"Why?" 'There's no place in my life for that. I don't want it. I have no use for it." Sara stared at his averted face. In spite of his unemotional tone, she sensed the tumult inside him. He was lying to himself. He needed to be loved more than any person she had ever met.

"Then what do you want?" she asked softly. He shook his head without answering. But Sara knew. He wanted to be safe. If he were rich and powerful enough, he would never be hurt, lonely, or abandoned. He would never have to trust anyone.

She continued to stroke his hair, playing lightly with the thick raven locks. 'Take a chance on me," she urged. "Do you really have so much to lose?" He gave a harsh laugh and loosened his arms to release her. "More than you know." Clinging to him desperately, Sara kept her mouth at his ear. "Listen to me." All she could do was play her last card.

Her voice trembled with emotion. "You can't change the truth. You can act as though you're deaf and blind, you can walk away from me forever, but the truth will still be there, and you can't make it go away. I love you." She felt an involuntary tremor run through him.

"I love you," she repeated. "Don't lie to either of us by pretending you're leaving for my good. All you'll do is deny us both a chance at happiness. I'll long for you every day and night, but at least my conscience will be clear. I haven't held anything back from you, out of fear or pride or stubbornness." She felt the incredible tautness of his muscles, as if he were carved from marble. "For once have the strength not to walk away," she whispered. "Stay with me. Let me love you, Derek."

He stood there frozen in defeat, with all the warmth and promise of her in his arms ... and he couldn't allow himself to take what she offered. He'd never felt so worthless, so much a fraud. Perhaps for a day, a week, he could be what she wanted. But no longer than that. He had sold his honor, his conscience, his body, anything he could use to escape the lot he'd been given in life. And now, with all his great fortune, he couldn't buy back what he'd sacrificed. Were he capable of tears, he would have shed them. Instead he felt numbing coldness spread through his body, filling up the region where his heart should have been. It wasn't difficul
t to walk away from her. It was appallingly easy.

Back to top Go down
bannerobrien
Book Burner
Book Burner

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Historical Romance Book Reviews Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:47 am

One of the best historical romance novel I had the chance to encounter is Judith McNaught's A kingdom of Dreams.

Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught

Abducted from her convent school, headstrong Scottish beauty Jennifer Merrick does not easily surrender to Royce Westmoreland, Duke of Claymore. Known as “The Wolf,” his very name strikes terror in the hearts of his enemies. But proud Jennifer will have nothing to do with the fierce English warrior who holds her captive, this handsome rogue who taunts her with his blazing arrogance. Boldly she challenges his will . . . until the night he takes her in his powerful embrace, awakening in her an irresistible hunger. And suddenly Jennifer finds herself ensnared in a bewildering web . . . a seductive, dangerous trap of pride, passion, loyalty, and overwhelming love.

Speechless and teary-eyed ako habang binabasa at pagkatapos ko siya basahin. cry baby I considered myself fortunate for having it read. smile Well, if you really wanted a real romantic story, I am highly suggesting not to miss this one. It's the story of the Westmoreland's ancestors, Royce and Jennifer. (Maganda rin ang Westmoreland Series, but this is the best one. sunny )

And after ko siya basahin, tumatak sakin yung thoughts ni Royce after one humbling act from Jennifer. And to my utter absorbment on it, na-memorize ko ata siya. angel

'How strange, Royce thought, that, after emerging victorious from more than a hundred real battles, the greatest moment of triumph he had ever known had come to him on a mock battlefield where he'd stood alone, unhorsed, and defeated.'

I just loved them both. Their story and the book. I love you

Last edited by bannerobrien on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kaye Cee
Assistant Librarian
Assistant Librarian

Aries Female
Humor : I'm glad I had people that I can talk about fictional characters as if they were real, and still think I'm sane.

PostSubject: Re: The Historical Romance Book Reviews Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:44 am

ay!! super ultimate (uber na ba?) ko itong Kingdom of dreams. sa lahat ng mcnaught novels. pangalawa yung whitney at until you... pero sa dalawang westmoreland brothers yung until you ang may impact sa akin...

pero itong kingdom of dreams ng waging wagi sa akin... cheers

but if you want more of ala-kingdom of dreams na romance, try Velvet Quartet/Quadrology ni Jude Deveraux. Iisa sila ng writing style ni McNaught eh. Iisa ang impact
Back to top Go down
bannerobrien
Book Burner
Book Burner

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Historical Romance Book Reviews Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:40 am

ay!! super ultimate (uber na ba?) ko itong Kingdom of dreams. sa lahat ng mcnaught novels. pangalawa yung whitney at until you... pero sa dalawang westmoreland brothers yung until you ang may impact sa akin...

pero itong kingdom of dreams ng waging wagi sa akin... cheers

but if you want more of ala-kingdom of dreams na romance, try Velvet Quartet/Quadrology ni Jude Deveraux. Iisa sila ng writing style ni McNaught eh. Iisa ang impact

Aww, thank you! I will try those too. Pero quality author nga rin si JD. bounce
Back to top Go down
Kaye Cee
Assistant Librarian
Assistant Librarian

Aries Female

PostSubject: Re: The Historical Romance Book Reviews Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:17 am

@bannerobrien wrote:
Hello Banner dear!

Hello Ate Catey! sunny Thank you for the welcome. I love you I'm now looking forward to interact with my co-bookwormers here. bounce

Yup, try it. Magaling talaga si Lisa Kleypas, one of the best authors for me. queen Nabasa ko na rin yan kaso hindi ko nagustuhan yung 'past' ni Lady Sophia but all in all, it is an excellent story. Heartwarming. I love you It's the same with all her Bow Street Runner series lalo na yung story ng brother niya.

Try also Dreaming of You by LK (Gamblers Series) and Because You're Mine (Capitol Theatre Series). Guaranteed her bests. flower

Medyo nga hindi maganda yung background ni sophia. pero I like the hero. Alpha male talaga siya...

Hayaan mo, hunting-in ko yang mga titles na binanggit mo Wink
Back to top Go down
ladymoonrose
Bookworm
Bookworm

Capricorn Female
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Historical Romance Book Reviews Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:17 pm

hello bannerobrien!!!

welcome ulit sa bookworm (na-welcome na kasi kita kanina saUshers/Usherette's Lobby Razz)

thank you for liking the reviews here... hayaaan mo dadami pa yan...

marami ring members ang mahilig magbasa ng historical dito Smile
Back to top Go down
jandi2212
Book Burner
Book Burner

Female
Registration date : 2012-09-02

PostSubject: Re: The Historical Romance Book Reviews Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:37 am

hello po! ang ganda namang magbrowse dito. Smile) mahilig din po ako sa historical pero mills and boon lang po lagi kong binabasa. ano magandang basahin? thank you! Smile)
Back to top Go down
ladymoonrose
Bookworm
Bookworm

Capricorn Female
Registration date : 2009-01-26

PostSubject: Re: The Historical Romance Book Reviews Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:35 pm

@jandi2212 wrote:
hello po! ang ganda namang magbrowse dito. Smile) mahilig din po ako sa historical pero mills and boon lang po lagi kong binabasa. ano magandang basahin? thank you! Smile)

mga historical na gawa ni Jude Deveraux... lalo na ang tungkol sa sa mga Montgomery at Taggert family Smile
Back to top Go down
Kaye Cee
Assistant Librarian
Assistant Librarian

Aries Female

PostSubject: Re: The Historical Romance Book Reviews Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:28 pm

@ladymoonrose wrote:
@jandi2212 wrote:

mga historical na gawa ni Jude Deveraux... lalo na ang tungkol sa sa mga Montgomery at Taggert family Smile

i love deveraux!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Historical Romance Book Reviews Today at 5:52 pm

Back to top Go down

The Historical Romance Book Reviews

View previous topic View next topic Back to top
Page 5 of 5 Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bookworm's Hub :: The Bookshelves :: Classics and Historical Fiction :: The Historical Romance Novels -